List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users]
From:       James White <james () resolutionit ! ca>
Date:       2005-09-21 1:28:49

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On September 20, 2005 08:30 pm, James White wrote:
> I took this off-list for a bit but It really should be here.  So, with a
> bit of a jump - here we are again....
>
> James
>
> On Tuesday 20 Sep 2005 20:48, James White wrote:
> > Hello Anne,
> >
> > This is off-topic for the KDE-Pim.. sort of... so I am replying directly
> > to your address.
>
> As it happens, I don't think it is.
>
> > I received your signed email but instead of the nice BLUE that I'm used
> > to seeing on a signed message, it is YELLOW (caution?).  Instead of the
> > reassuring message about a signed document I get this:
> >
> > Message was signed with unknown key 0x90502F32BFE7357F.
> > The validity of the signature cannot be verified.
>
> Yours says
>
>  Message was signed with unknown key 0x8AB3BDD7DB568EF6.
> The validity of the signature cannot be verified.
>
> > Now it occurs to me that YOU have no way to know about this - and so I
> > am sending you this message.
> >
> > But it also occurs to me that perhaps MY messages are not verifiable to
> > someone who does not possess my public key either.  I have always
> > assumed that because I published my public key on my key-server, others
> > would be able to confirm my signature.  But I have never tested this
> > theory.
> >
> > So.  Now you know about yours.  Will you tell me if my signature is
> > verified against a public key server?
>
> It looks as though kmail is not automatically pulling in signatures from
> the keyservers, and it certainly did in previous versions.  I suppose it
> is kgpg, really.  I'll check out the config file in the morning, but I'm
> sure it is set to automatically load the keys.
>
> Maybe we should be taking it back to the list?
>
> > Oh, and good answer about the indexes.  I bet that solves it.
>
> Thanks.  It's almost a FAQ by now :-)
>
> Anne

In the message that I sent (just before this one in the thread) I see that my
signature is valid and GREEN.  So at least we know that Kgpg/KMail are
checking my local keyring.   The problem seems to be that we aren't
automatically checking the key-servers to verify unknown signatures.
--
James White

If this helped you, please take the time to rate the value of this
information:
 http://rate.affero.net/frozenJim/ResolutionIT.ca/