List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Kpilot user
From:       Carlos Leonhard Woelz <carloswoelz () imap-mail ! com>
Date:       2004-06-28 12:10:31

On Monday 28 June 2004 02:51 am, Tadek wrote:
> Hi,

Hi, Tadek

> Problem: when I log as a root and synchronize with palm the information
> from palm is available in applications (Korginzer,Kaddressbook etc) and
> also is visble in Kpilot Address Viewer, Todo Viewer, Memo Viewer.  However
> if I log as regular user information from palm is available in
> applications, but built-in viewers are blank (no data).  Why?

The correct unix behavior is that every user has access only to its data. No
root data should be available to regular users. And more: internal viewers
data is located in each user $KDEHOME/share/apps/kpilot/DBBackup, (in root's
case,  /root/.kde/share/apps/kpilot/DBBackup) so I don't see how other users
could access this data in the past. But I only started to follow KPilot
development after KDE 3.2, so I can be wrong.

> In previous version of kde and pilot (I don't remember rev, but it was
> debian sarge) it worked for both root and user.

I really don't understand how this could work in the past.

> I will appreciate your help in solving this mystery.

Me too. But AFAIK, from now on, try to sync using your user, instead of using
root. If you can't access the data syncing as your user, then is a bug.

Cheers,

Carlos Woelz