List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Action items from status meeting
From:       Thomas Gagne <tgagne () wideopenwest ! com>
Date:       2004-05-25 13:23:27

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 04:01, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On Mon, 24 May 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Thomas Gagné wrote:
> > Yes, a few of us working on CoordiDate actually live close enough (near
>
> Perhaps you can tell the PIM folks what CoordiDate is?

Sure.

<plug type="shameless">
	CoordiDate (http://www.coordidate.org/) is a project to improve the utility
of calendars for /everyone/.  Several of us have become dissatisfied with how
our multiple calendars aren't easily accessible to ourselves or the people we
want to share them with--like friends, family, and coworkers.

	If you company is large enough it's likely they've implemented some type of
groupware, but they probably don't keep calendars for your kids, spouse,
neighborhood, local government, etc.

	CoordiDate (as we're seeing it now) is being constructed as an
internet-accessible calendar store that will provide storage for calendars by
user name, security by event for sharing, permission for others to add events
to your calendar, the creation of views that behave as a single calendar but
are the aggregate of multiple, making it easier to synchronize with "dumber"
calendars like those on PDAs today.

	Our interest in KOrganizer is in looking for a calendar client to start out
with.  Mozilla's calendar and KOrganizer both support remote calendars to
varying degress, but KOrganizer's seems to do a better job displaying
recurring events, has a nicer look to it, and provides a conduit for KPilot
for us to test with.  It looks like a good place to start.
</plug>

> >     * I've been able to synchronize my Visor with KPilot and
> >       KOrganizer.  Though it messed-up my Visor's date book its calendar
> >       was uploaded to KOrganizer's successfully.
>
> Known bug, still impossible to track down.
>
> >     * We need to find a well-supported iCalendar parser library.  I've
> >       played with libical a bit.  I'm curious about libkcal but haven't
> >       been able to track down its API (yet).
>
> The libical that is in KDEPIM is a copy, lightly modified, of an older
> version of Apple's libical. I'd say that that is "well supported", sortof.
> Shaheed is apparently working on merging the fixes from Apple into the PIM
> copy. libical as it stands is butt-ugly C code and full of opportunities
> to botch up its use, and does a huge amount of memory-shuffling, but it
> seems to be ok. libkcal adds a C++ layer overtop of this (among other
> things). There are no docs for libkcal that I know of - look in the header
> files.

That's what I was afraid of, but I'm not beyond doing it. :-)