List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] HotSync is disabled while the screen is locked.
From:       Martin Stubenschrott <stubenschrott () gmx ! net>
Date:       2004-04-28 15:17:29

Hi Adriaan,

On Wednesday 28 April 2004 17:04, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Martin Stubenschrott wrote:
> > since about a month or so I am getting this error when syncing my Palm:
> > "HotSync is disabled while the screen is locked."
>
> That was added as a security measure. It means that when the KDE
> screensaver is active, KPilot will refuse to sync the Pilot, on the
> grounds that the user is "away" and somebody else is apparently attaching
> a Pilot to the machine in an attempt to steal data.
thanks for the quick clarification, I was not sure _which_ screen (my palm's
screen or my computer's screen) should be locked.
Moreover, interestingly I have _never_ run a screensaver in my computing life
for about 7 years and than I get an error because I should have run a
screensaver (apart from the X server blanking the screen after 10 minutes
automatically) :)

> > I tried the latest cvs version and the 3.2.1 release.
> > Where does this error come from? (from kpilot or pilot-link or from my
> > palm m515?) and any clue how to fix it?
>
> It's got nothing to do with your hardware or other setup - but apparently
> the "refuse to sync when screensaver is on" setting is _on_ in your case,
> and buggy. I'll have to take a look at the code at home to see which
> config option it is that you need to change.
Maybe it helps, if tell you that I am not using the "full" kde package, but
use Ion (a lightweight window manager), and just start "kdeinit" when
starting the X server, than "kpilot" manually from the command line.

As a quick workaround, maybe just add an option to disable this security
feature, if not needed.

thanks for the help,

Martin