List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] KPilot developers notes for april 2004
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2004-04-26 22:46:11

[Lots of action, plus a few real bugs squashed, but HEAD isn't in a shape
that I'd dare inflict it on anyone through a tarball.]

2004-04-26  Adriaan de Groot
* [kpilot.kcfg] Added [a68k] as default skip in the database list.
* [pilotDaemon] Use standard names for sync actions. Queue sorry
  when sync type is bad.
* [hotSync] Change signature of backup action, lose the confusing
  int mode parameter.
* [syncStack] Took out the mode stuff, replaced with SyncAction::SyncMode.
  This simplified a lot of things, actually.  Removed extra changed-PC check
  in ConduitProxy, on the assumption this is already checked elsewhere.

2004-04-21  Adriaan de Groot
* [hotSync] Made skip-database work properly, with wildcard support
  and proper checking again, so you can now backup your Pilot and
  specify that FATFS and *a68k can be skipped. Even did docs for it.
* [syncAction] Added function to return standard names for the
  (enum) sync actions.

2004-04-19  Adriaan de Groot
* Cleaned up header comments, copyrights, body comments, indentation,
  brace style, and unused code in all kinds of files. Normalized use of
  magic constant 0xffff in PilotRecord::APP_BUFFER_SIZE. Removed
  some * in char *buffer[] where char buffer[] was meant, reducing KPilot's
  stack memory usage there by a factor of 4 or more.
* Patch from Jörn Ahrens to close another Bugzilla bug.

2004-04-18  Reinhold Kainhofer
* Finish the autodetection of the handheld for the wizard. You *CAN* pi_bind
  to multiple devices, so I just create a bunch of device links and wait for
  connected signals... This also means we can get rid of page one of the
  wizard.  There is one problem left: If /dev/pilot or so is a symlink to a
  real device, a connection on /dev/pilot and the actual device will be
  detected, and kpilot will lock up. I guess I'll have to keep a (static)
  QStringList of real devices we are bound to in KPilotDeviceLink and
  disallow binding to the same real device again.

2004-04-18  Adriaan de Groot
* Default debug_level to 0, so it doesn't print the call trace, but just the
  (sometimes) useful debug output; use --debug 1 to print the call trace.
* [pilotDaemon] Add more useful warning output when conversation with screen-
  saver fails. Add human-friendly way to request a specific sync type.
  Factor out a whole lot in the startHotSync() to clear up the actual logic.
* Massive damage inflicted to factor out the one set of sync-enums and
  use them everywhere, while cleaning up the setup-sync logic too.
  Remove leading 'e' from enum type names (not the elements).

2004-04-16  Adriaan de Groot
* Fixed double dialog when cancelling a change in the selection in the config
  dialog. Took patch from Jörn to fix resize problem in abbrowser resolution
  dialog. Minor constructor mod in pilotMemo.h, and a much more nasty problem
  in pilotMemo.cc, which seems to use a wrong memo length. Added some
  docs. Removed a warning in addressWidget.cc.
* [conduitConfigWizard] Can't assign copyright except in writing, and even then
  in the EU you can't renounce your copyright. Added a "None" sync setting,
  for the use-case described on 4-11.

2004-04-11  Adriaan de Groot
* Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3. Let's look at a use case: someone who doesn't want
  to sync his or her palm with KDE apps, but does want a convenient application
  to install files and keep a backup of their palm. How can they use KPilot?
  Well, uncheck all the conduits except install files, set the daemon to
  auto-start, and do nothing more than drop the pilot inthe cradle
  occasionally and hit the HotSync button. Use kpilot's viewers to check
  the state of the backup.
* [conduitConfigDialog] Use the CE macro for general config pages. Tighten
  typing on handleGeneralPages. Add names to the viewers tabs. Make
  unsaved-changes message make sense.

2004-04-11  Reinhold Kainhofer
* Fix the codec handling to use KGlobal::charsets.
* Implemented the startListening and stopListening methods of the daemon.
* Fixed the config dialog so that just showing a conduit's config widget
  doesn't trigger the modified signal.
* Some cleanup in the daemon

2004-04-10  Reinhold Kainhofer
* Split kpilot's configuration into several files, one for each conduit.
  Also wrote a kconf_update script so the old settings are preserved.
  We still need to sort out the remaining settings written to kpilotrc.
* Corrected all path variables in the .kcfg files from type String to Path
* The configuration wizard now also sets the conduits' settings to sensitive
  defaults for the chosen application (kde pim, kontact, evolution)

2004-04-10  Adriaan de Groot
* Move about in config dialog to sensible spot. Follow suggestions by Carlos
  to simplify the config dialog a bit. Default general setup to open, even
  if the message says it it for esoteric stuff.

2004-04-09  Adriaan de Groot
* Work on docs. Accept patch from Jrn for broken config in abbrowser
  conduit. Receive docs patches from Carlos.

2004-04-05  Adriaan de Groot
* Work on the Kontact plugin for KPilot, make daemon's installedConduits
  DCOP call return human-readable names instead of internal stuff.

2004-04-04  Adriaan de Groot
* Split out the general settings pages so that no tab widgets are
  needed. Jrn's title patch for those pages made the tabs weird
  anyway, and now things are consistent, at least. We could move
  the backup page to "Actions", if we want.

2004-04-01  Adriaan de Groot
* Happy birthday to Mira, who has now managed to watch a whole
  year of KPilot development, and has learned to sit up and say
  "aya!" appreciatively when Daddy fixes a bug. Or something.