List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] Re: slow retrieving of messages strikes again
From:       Ingo =?windows-1252?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-04-26 19:03:11

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 25 April 2004 21:31, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> Dnia nie 25. kwietnia 2004 17:15, Ingo Klöcker napisa³:
> > On Sunday 25 April 2004 15:06, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > In last CVS-Digest I saw that slow retrieving of messages was
> > > fixed
> >
> > This optimization only affects users who leave messages on the POP
> > server.
> >
> > > But from time to time I am encountering strange problem:
> > >
> > > When on POP3 server is more than 50-70 messages and many of them
> > > are bigger than 30-40k I am getting info:
> > >
> > > "Your server does not support the TOP command. Therefore it is
> > > not possible "
> > > "to fetch the headers of large emails first, before downloading
> > > them."
> >
> > The TOP command is needed if you want to filter messages on the
> > server.
>
> Yes, I am doing it and understand it is needed to download headers
> only. Mostly it works but breaks when there is many large messages on
> the server. Cannot exactly debug this, but critical size is circa 50
> messages larger than 30-40k. Sometimes with large number of small
> messages (> 100). With small number of messages (below 50) I never
> get this bug (even with large messages). If server really doesn't
> support TOP this error should appear always, doesn't it?

Yes, at least always if there's a message which is larger than your size
limit.

> > > Also _no_ messages are retrieved, but in status bar there is
> > > message is info: xx messages was succesfully retrieved.
> >
> > Hmm, that's I bug.
> >
> > > Usually second time everything works OK... Strange.
> >
> > Yeah, that's really strange.
>
> Maybe this is something with time-out?

I have no idea. For some reason the POP server sends an error message
while KMail fetches the headers. KMail then assumes that the server
doesn't support the TOP command. If the connection to the POP server is
not encrypted (with SSL/TLS) then you could listen to the communication
between KMail and the POP server with ethereal or a similar tool.
Furthermore you could enable debug information for kio_pop3 (with
kdebugdialog) provided that you compiled kio_pop3 (in kdebase) with
debug information.

Regards,
Ingo