List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Re: slow retrieving of messages strikes again
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2004-04-25 19:31:22

Dnia nie 25. kwietnia 2004 17:15, Ingo Klöcker napisa³:
> On Sunday 25 April 2004 15:06, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > In last CVS-Digest I saw that slow retrieving of messages was fixed
>
> This optimization only affects users who leave messages on the POP
> server.
>
> > But from time to time I am encountering strange problem:
> >
> > When on POP3 server is more than 50-70 messages and many of them
> > are bigger than 30-40k I am getting info:
> >
> > "Your server does not support the TOP command. Therefore it is not
> > possible "
> > "to fetch the headers of large emails first, before downloading
> > them."
>
> The TOP command is needed if you want to filter messages on the server.

Yes, I am doing it and understand it is needed to download headers only.
Mostly it works but breaks when there is many large messages on the
server. Cannot exactly debug this, but critical size is circa 50
messages larger than 30-40k. Sometimes with large number of small
messages (> 100). With small number of messages (below 50) I never get
this bug (even with large messages). If server really doesn't support
TOP this error should appear always, doesn't it?

> > But this problem doesn't exist when number of messages is low.
>
> It's more likely that this depends on the message size. There's a
> threshold for the message size, so that small messages are not filtered
> on the server (because it's highly inefficient to do so).

Hmm. On server side? On my side I have size limit 9k to not filter.

> > Also _no_ messages are retrieved, but in status bar there is message
> > is info: xx messages was succesfully retrieved.
>
> Hmm, that's I bug.
>
> > Usually second time everything works OK... Strange.
>
> Yeah, that's really strange.

Maybe this is something with time-out?

m.

Learn Touch Typing with Vim? Oui. Ja. Yes. Tak:
  http://vim.sourceforge.net/script.php?script_id=461
vim.pl - http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/