List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] Re: Kmail very slow to get mail
From:       Ingo =?windows-1252?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-04-25 15:22:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 22 April 2004 02:16, Lance Johnston wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm (hopefully going to be) a new Kmail user, but am experiencing a
> performance problem when attempting to get mail from a POP3 account.
> Checking mail takes at least a minute and a half, during which the
> status bar says "Preparing transmission from ...". It doesn't matter
> if there are any new messages on the server or not. I've also noticed
> that Kmail takes the CPU to 100% during this period of time. I'm not
> sure what information would help to determine the source of this
> problem, but here's some:
>
> Kmail 1.6.2/KDE 3.2.2
> suse linux 9.0
> approximately 4000 messages on the server
> configured to leave messages on server
> using no pop filters
>
> I do know that I can pop mail from the same server using mozilla in a
> reasonable amount of time (generally less than 5 seconds). Any tips,
> hints, resources, etc. would be much appreciated.

The next version of KMail (version 1.7) will be much faster. I measured
a speed up of 1350% with 4300 messages on the server. So in your case
the time should go down from 90 seconds to about 7 seconds (still a bit
slower than Mozilla).

Until this version is released I can only repeat the suggestion from my
previous reply:
"For now you should probably use fetchmail to fetch new mail
from the POP server to a local file and then fetch the mail with KMail
from the local file."

Regards,
Ingo