List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Re: Tremendously long startup times...
From:       Timothy Grant <tjg () rentrak ! com>
Date:       2004-04-15 17:03:50

On Tuesday 13 April 2004 04:16 pm, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 April 2004 17:38, Timothy Grant wrote:
> > Since I only have a couple of months worth of email at this time I
> > really don't have as much volume stored as "normal" (probably less
> > than 5000 messages), I'm worried about how things will behave near my
> > normal 10000 or 12000.
> >
> > Any tips, ideas, suggestions?
>
> That's weird. I have 150,000+ messages and startup is pretty fast (maybe
> 30 seconds from cold start, but I didn't really take the time). Do you
> probably have the unread/total columns in the folder list activated?
> Since you say your drive is spinning all the time I suppose you are not
> using NFS.
>
> You say it takes three or four minutes to become usable. Is the window
> visible before? Do you see what KMail might be doing?
>
> I think it would be best if you would send me your kmailrc (usually in
> ~/.kde/share/config). You should censor any sensitive data, esp.
> passwords, before you sent me this file.

Since your email I've done a bit of experimenting, but don't have anything
concrete yet.

It only happens on a start from a reboot. It doesn't happen if I close Kmail
and them reopen it. This in conjunction with the fact that I often get Lock
File errors on starting Kontact makes me wonder if maybe Kontact/Kmail
doesn't shut down correctly when KDE shuts down.

If you would still like me to send you my kmailrc I'm happy to do so.

--
Stand Fast,
    tjg.

Timothy Grant