List:       kde-zine
Subject:    Re: [Kde-zine] I am home. How do we proceed?
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2001-07-12 18:18:52

Darian Lanx wrote:

[ ... ]

> no, that is not the case. Transforming all the old, static HTML into the
> proposed XML backend will be handwork. Of course certain tags can be
> trasnlated accoring to the tags.html in the xml module, but the main thing,
> which makes the XML backend better must be marked up by hand. That means
> get auto translated, but all headers need to be added by hand and most and
> for all the more interesting things such a keyword tags Xlinks or any other
> thing that requires the understanding of a human brain behind it.
> Now imagine it takes us 6 months to write this backend, because people will
> be cauhg tup between two things, a running Zine which must be tended to and
> wrting a backend. There will be alot to convert then

Hi,

So in the worst case the old articles, which would not even exist if we
don't publish now, won't have keywords?  Who cares?

I think to make it easy I can do a very easy php script to print an
article; if you have a database I can use mysql too.  I would require
the following inputs:  "title", "author", "authorURL", "keywords",
"storyline", "date", "body" and a few other things you want.  I can then
place a form on promo.kde.org to submit the article.  Everything is
stored in a database so later when we switch to XML the fields can be
individually and automatically removed.

If I am missing some concepts that the XML may later need, please let me
know, in the database any fields are possible.

Then I can use the database to generate a static HTML page (show me the
layout) for now; later when the backend is up I send you the database
and you can query it to create the XML files you need for the backend.

Ciao,

Dre