List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: List for comments on the Dot?
From:       Kyle Cunningham <kyle () codeincarnate ! com>
Date:       2008-04-16 4:18:39

Hi Sebas,

> Here's a list with things and ideas we've been bouncing around:
>
> - We want to move from the current Dot to something more easily maintainable
> - We need new theming
> - We need some way to moderate comments

Well, there are a lot of things that can accomplish this and I certainly
have some pet peeves of my own (like e-mail address links appearing
directly on the page when comments are posted, I've had a torrent
of spam since I first made a comment).

> To accomplish that, we need to:
>
> - install and setup new system (1)
> - migrate the data from the current Dot (stories, comments, users?)
> - create theme (graphics, css)

Installing and setting up a new system doesn't seem like it would be too
bad.
I administer a number of linux servers on a daily basis so I'm pretty
used to
that kind of thing.

The migration will probably be the most difficult part of it all.
Especially
since different systems don't always entirely mesh.

Theming wise, I think pretty much every major website building platform
these
days has pretty good theming.  More than anything, having somebody come up
with a good mock-up I think would be the important part.

> (1) we looked into wordpress since its featureset pretty much matches what we
> need, and it doesn't have a lot more stuff, so little to strip down. We're
> not married to that, though. Drupal might also be a good idea since we're
> already running a site on drupal, so not another system added. Right now, Dot
> is running on Zope/Squishdot.

I think that wordpress is a great platform.  However, I think that the
advantage
to using something like Drupal is that it would be more adaptable.  If
in the
future the Dot becomes more than a news blog, then having a full-fledged CMS
would be beneficial and would mean that in the future there wouldn't have to
be any software switches.

> If you'd be able to help with the Dot, that'd be really (really, really!)
> welcome.

Yep, I'd really like to help with the dot.  I think that with even a
little bit
of work it could really improve.

> Should we keep this discussion on kde-www?
I'd be fine with keeping discussions of dot.kde.org on kde-www.  I chose
this
list because I wasn't sure where to go in regards to upkeep for the dot so
this seemed like a good place to start.  This is a nice open place to
discuss
such things so I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep it here.

Best Regards,
Kyle Cunningham