List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: Development
From:       Carlos Leonhard Woelz <carloswoelz () imap-mail ! com>
Date:       2005-04-05 1:24:32

On Monday 04 April 2005 03:45, Marcos Fouces wrote:
> On Monday 04 April 2005 06:53, Carlos Leonhard Woelz wrote:
> >
> > The problem with specific jobs (non general tasks) is that someone has
> > to maintain the lists of available tasks. The developers do not want to
> > do it (I don't blame them: let them code).
>
> This is exactly why i purposed to create a webteam: to avoid devs dealing
> with those issues.

Hmmmm, I don't agree here. To keep tha status updated, you need specific
knowledge of the module / application. It is a job for the (theoretical)
quality team of that module / application or for a developer who knows the
answer. To require the webteam to keep them updated, it is just too much
work.

> > I maintain (well, at least
> > used to, and intend to update) the task pages for kdepim. It is done on
> > the wiki, to make it easier to change. It worked for some time, until I
> > stopped working on it, and it really attracted new volunteers. But you
> > have to know the applications involved and the tasks. See the quality
> > page to see what I mean:
> > http://wiki.kdenews.org/tiki-index.php?page=Quality+Team+KDE+PIM
>
> That's a good starting point but is too tedious to introduce changes by
> hand. I think is better using a database and a litle PHP, something like:
>
> - http://savannah.gnu.org/people/?group=tasklist
>
> It should also be posible to extract jobs by category, by team, by app...
>
> > From my personal experience, a page like jobs.kde.org won't work,
> > unless:
> >
> > 1) It is a epository for general "jobs descriptions with requirements"
> > like the quality page: http://quality.kde.org/develop/modules/
> > and / or
> > 2) It is a general framework for volunteers to add updated info about
> > apps and tasks.
>
> The first point is already done, i said that on a past post, but not the
> second...

OK, let's be constructive here: if you create a nice system, I will use it,
and drop the wiki pages. But it must allow people to say "I take this job"
and put their names there, and maybe update it without cvs access. Now it
looks like a wiki :) , or not?

Cheers,

Carlos Woelz