List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: Development
From:       Anne-Marie Mahfouf <annemarie.mahfouf () free ! fr>
Date:       2005-04-02 13:34:28

On April 1, 2005 05:53 pm, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> This all falls under the category of develop stuff doesn't belong on kde's
> main page, but in developer.kde.org
>
> Does anyone object to me
>
> -Removing "Development Source Code" from the Download box

KDE is first of all an Open Source project and as such the Dowload link MUST
exist and be visible. The project will not exist if we have only users and if
the developer's pool is reduced.

In general:
If you start to remove things here and there and to casually change stuff by
light touches we'll end up with something nobody has really discussed.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a working session on that at the next
aKademy and to discuss both the content and the CSS?
Or a virtual working group that would take time to design and submit a
proposal? Or at least having some kind of plan?

I am worried by all these assertions about corporate targets and marketing.
It's best that a large number of people is represented when making changes,
from a large number of countries if possible (this marketing concept seems,
no offense, quite a USA way of thinking, does it apply in India? in
Brazil?...)

Other KDE websites problem
And if we go towards a bare "marketing" website look such the one you proposed
a few weeks ago then please don't make other KDE family websites follow that
look. Because KDE family websites at the moment are the hostages of the main
design. (Latest changes were applied without asking other websites
maintainers).
I would prefer in fact having a special website for those corporate people you
want to target and leave the main kde.org for everybody.

I would prefer not starting a discussion about all that, it's just how I
perceive things. I am sure you can counter all that, i respect what you think
but please let us try to think wide.

Anne-Marie