List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: Is there a website.kde.org or webteam.kde.org, etc.?
From:       "C.M.Lotion" <cmlotion () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2005-03-29 3:38:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 28 March 2005 13:59, Jason Bainbridge wrote:
> [...]
> That sounds pretty good to me already, is the full text available in
> English or can you translate it all? (I'm at work so *trying* to only
> do email right now)
>
> Cheers,

Here is the translated text. I left out most of the links and the HTML
template, but kept the text so it can be adjusted for the kde.org webteam.

--- translated text ----
The KDE-NL website
You're welcome to and contribute to this website.You can contribute in various
ways, for example by:
* writing content for the page, such as
        - tips and tricks for KDE and KDE-applications,
        - documentation about the KDE desktop environment,
        - articles, e.g. about your favourite application (application of the
month)
        - illustrations, artwork, screenshots, etc.
        - other KDE-related information that you would like to share
* helping with revision and maintenance, by
        - providing feedback about errors, dead links, improvement of the
design,
missing pitcures, etc.
        - handling feedback, which can vary from correcting spelling errors to
updating (X)HTML-,CSS- or PHP-code
        - adding contributed content to CVS
        - maintaining/improving the structure and organisation of the website
with
other KDE-people

If you contribute frequently, you can get access to the CVS-server. If you
ocassionally write something, you can send HTML-documents, etc. to the
webmaster.

HTML
HTML content according to the layout discussed further on in this section is
preferred. However, other HTML, DocBook, plain text or even OpenOffice
documents are also accepted. The webmaster will take care of the conversion
to XHTML if necessary. Please take into account the following things when
providing HTML documents:
- Use XHTML 1.0 transitional. Element names and attribute have to be written
in lower case. Validate the XHTML, for example with xmllint --valid.
- Link to the stylesheet /kde.css.
- Use the template below for your document
- The text should be placed in div with id="maincontents"
- If you don't use a menu (a div with id="sidebar") and want to use the full
text width, add the attribute class="fullwidth" to maincontents-div.
- Change the encoding to iso-8859-15 if you want to use Euro-signs! You may,
of course, use UTF-8 encoding instead, as long as you fill-out the correct
encoding.
- <a href="http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html">"Cool URIs don't
change."</a> Give the location of your document some good thought and do not
change it.

Template
[...]

CVS access
CVS access for the Dutch KDE page is taken care of via KForge. Access to the
CVS system can be obtained as follows:
1. Contact the webmaster or the webteam to request a CVS-account.
2. Create a user account at KForge
3. Provide the webmaster with your username to have your account activated

CVS can be used from the console or with a the graphical application <a
href="http://www.kde.org/apps/cervisia/">Cervisia</a>. Refer to the detailed
Dutch documentation for more information on configuring and using Cervisia.
Here are the commands to configure CVS via the command line:
mkdir /home/username/KDE_NL
cd /home/username/KDE_NL
export CVS_RSH=ssh
cvs -z3 -d:ext:username@cvs.sf.kovoks.nl:/cvsroot/kde-nl checkout kde.nl

Further information
If you want to learn more about CVS, HTML, CSS or PHP, have a look on the
internet, since there is a lot of information available online. Some useful
tutorials/references are:
http://www.w3.org information about web standards
http://www.w3schools.com tutorials about HTML, XHTML, CSS, etc.
http://www.csszengarden.com examples of CSS designs
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/PHP about PHP programming
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:HTML about HTML programming
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:XHTML about XHTML programming

Do you still have questions? Please don't hesitate to contact the kde-webteam.

--- translated text ----