List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: Hello KDE-webteam
From:       "C.M.Lotion" <cmlotion () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2005-03-03 23:29:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 03 March 2005 06:43, Olaf Schmidt wrote:
> Hi Claire!
>
> [C.M.Lotion, Donnerstag, 3. März 2005 05:54]
>
> > Ok, do you have a certain tool that you prefer/recommend?
>
> I have not used these tools very often, but I have tested klinkstatus
> (from the kdewebdev module) and of the online tool
> http://validator.w3.org/checklink
>
> Both tools list a number of false positives, so you need to check the
> results. The output of the w3 link validator is far more detaile, which
> can be either an advantage and a disadvantage, depending on your
> preferences.
>
> If you use klinkstatus, then you might wish to increase the waiting time
> in th preference to get fewer false positives.
>
> > I have used CVS to checkout stuff, but I usually sent the result to
> > someone with commit permission. Anyway, I don't mind learning, since I
> > am also using it for the Dutch KDE site with Cervisia.
>
> To become familiar with the PHP framework, you could checkout the pages
> with broken links from CVS (module www) and send us patches. And if you
> are sending enough patches, then sooner or later someone will be annoyed
> enough to ask you to get a CVS account and commit yourself. ;-)
>
> > some would take a lot of time and effort to design and implement.
>
> Yes, but we can start to collect ideas for reorganising the home page.
>
> > One of the comments I often got, was that KDE.org looked
> > as if it was solely for developers or experienced users, that already
> > know where to look and don't really mind a minimalistic style.
>
> One of the problems is that we link to every subsite of KDE from the home
> page, which means a lot of links.
>
> Most of these links don't need to be on the home page if we find a good
> way to organise them. For example, some of the subdomains are directed at
> experienced users only. I also think that we don't need to link to all
> KDE application sites from the home page.
>
> One idea would be to have several link pages in the
> http://www.kde.org/family directory (e.g. apps.php, resources.php, etc.)
> and link them prominently on top of the home page.
>
> > Cleaning up the links and including a powerful search mechanism on or
> > via the main page would really help new and old users/contributors to
> > find their way around, and would thereby make http://www.kde.org more
> > popular and more valuable to both new and old KDE-users and developers.
>
> I agree. We already try to make kde.org a kind of portal by having links
> to current news stories and applications, but we can do better.
>
> > I was thinking of an advanced search page that offers groups of search
> > criteria:
>
> [...]
>
> I really agree with your suggestion, but the tough part will be to
> implement this. Currently we are using google for the search function
> because we don't have our own. Has someone an idea how to implement this
> great search function idea?
>
> > It would, for instance, fit perfectly into some kind of search kioslave
> [...]

Dear Olaf,

Thank you very much for your reply. It appears that we totally understand each
other :). Perhaps we can make a page with the ideas for improving the website
so everybody can see what we're all up to and how we want to accomplish it.
It may inspire more people to help or provide feedback. Time to climb that
learning curve...

Best regards,

Claire