List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: private wiki access
From:       Navindra Umanee <navindra () cs ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2005-03-03 4:02:41

Olaf Schmidt <ojschmidt@kde.org> wrote:
> Thanks for clarifying the wiki hosting situation for us. I think it is
> reasonable for you to spend your time for the tasks you are interested
> in. Your contribution to the Dot is very important to KDE, and I hope
> someone will be found to do the similarly important job of administering
> the KDE Wiki.

Please note that these are two very demanding services and when one
goes wrong it can take the whole system down with it.  Even when
things don't go horribly wrong, there are always big complaints about
performance and short periods of downtimes caused for one reason or
another.  This has been a concern of mine for a while, even before the
recent crash.

The server is only reverting to its primary function which is to host
KDE Dot News, a very important service for KDE and which people
constantly remind me needs better uptime.  It is currently doing that
satisfactorily and as I have mentioned time and time again, I have
already spent and will be spending a lot of time to make sure service
will be stellar in the long term.

Maybe someone will thank me when they notice the dot is working
better?  No, I didn't think so.  That's not what I need or want
either.

I have offered to admin or help admin the Wiki on the new server that
Jason has generously offered, if we decide to go with that, and if
desired or required.  We haven't fully worked out the details yet but
if things go well it will happen very soon, the Wiki will have a new
home all to itself and the Dot will continue to enjoy its current
stability.  (If our aging server doesn't crumble.  I am maintaining
offsite and incremental backups in case of such an event.)

This is a net win for KDE.

Please also note that Luci is and always has been the main maintainer
of the Wiki.

> I would like to straighten out that I the private mail I have sent should
> not be interpreted as an attempt to judge between Stephan and you. I am

Your words do not make Steve's rudeness and lack of respect any more
acceptable to me, whether on a public list or not.

My message is simple and to the point.  It's point blank.  I will not
be insulted and ignorantly ordered about at the same time.  This has
been met point blank by a direct insult and zero gratification.
However masked and subtle the insult may be and mixed with other
stuff, I won't tolerate it.

I do have tolerance for feedback emails that I get from KDE newbies
and always meet them with respect and helpfulness no matter what their
tone.  However, insults over months and years, from somebody who knows
and has previously been told that I don't appreciate that attitude is
where I draw the line.

> I have the impression that you are frustrated for a very good reason. But
> please use a different tone when posting emails to this list. You can use
> private mails if you feel that you cannot avoid being rude.

I am happy to work for KDE, even in the background and not be
acknowledged, but to have that work constantly challenged and/or
insulted by ignoramuses without any real knowledge of the situation
and work being done, and without any real intention of ever helping or
contributing, that is where the line is drawn.

I understand you have sensibilities to strong language, and I'm sorry
I hurt them.  I at least hope that a message is getting through.  I
don't care for sly or subtle insults mingled with orders.  If you want
to play a game of insults, then that's all you get back.

Thanks,
Navin.