List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: kde.com
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () knewton ! biz>
Date:       2005-01-13 3:58:34

Segedunum wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 10:48:02, Andreas Pour wrote:
> > Phishing is a term which connotes fraud, particularly financial
> fraud (see e.g. http://www.antiphishing.org/), and if
> > you are going to make public accusations (the list kde-www@kde.org
> is public) of criminal activity against an
> > individual or enterprise I would expect such charges to be based on
> real evidence, and not to be made lightly or as
> > hyperbole.
>
> For goodness sake Andreas. It has been clear for some time that the
> kde.com domain has been defunct, and kde.com sites have been replaced
> by things like kde-apps.org.

What has any of this to do with phishing?  Nothing?  Then no need to
comment on my response.  If you have other issues feel free to raise
them but don't you ever criticize me for defending my honor.   This
seems to be a most deleterious tendency in the Open Source community - I
have been victimized by it on multiple occassions and I will continue to
defend false accusations of moral terpitude whenever they happen to my
knowledge.

> As far as I can see the kde.com domain is no longer necessary, other
> than as a placeholder for KDE's presence in the .com domain. Phishing
> is a bit of a strong term (and rather inaccurate),

Then why reply to my statement saying the same?

> but considering that kde.com now serves no useful purpose in view of
> KDE's other sites people have to ask why it is there and what the
> request for money is about.

Who's asking for money?  Do you see a link there to the company's PayPal
account?  I sure don't.  Note the request is for servers / bandwidth.
Over the last year we have received a number of inadequate offers . . . .

> The way the request on kde.com is now worded also seems to have
> changed to something a bit more acceptable since Leon posted.

Absolutely not.  The text has not changed in a year (though the one
point I agree with, when I find the time, is that it should be updated).

> Correct me if I'm wrong, as I can't remember exactly what was there
> before. That's what Leon will have been complaining about, not what
> now seems to be up there ;).
>
> What purpose does kde.com serve then? I can see Leon's point, as it's
> not clear what relationship it has with KDE or the kde.org site or
> what its purpose is. Given that it asks (or did ask) for money and now
> sponsorship, people are more than entitled to ask if it is a spoof.

"Spoof"?  Pffffffft.

Ciao,

Dre