List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: www/areas/usability/hig
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2004-08-23 22:35:34

On Monday 23 August 2004 21:24, Jason Bainbridge wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:09:10 +0000, Frans Englich
>
> <frans.englich@telia.com> wrote:
> > 1. To have a per-file menu, instead of per-directory is currently not
> > possible(the php code opens a menu.inc in current directory). Jason
> > Bainbridge looked at the code and concluded it isn't that hard to fix:
> > http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-www&m=109269273402408&w=2
>
> I'll get that sorted sometime this week, I'm in the middle of building
> Gentoo on my laptop so once that is sorted enough I'll add in the
> extra functionality.
>
> > 2. To be able to build a hierarchy in the menu without having the actual
> > content sorted into multiple directories. Currently, the only way to add
> > a category is to use the appendDir function, which creates a link to a
> > directory. That shouldn't be hard to fix either, but I know just as much
> > about PHP as about separating coffee and laptop.
>
> I'll look at this at the same time, hopefully it is fairly straight
> forward but I'm not sure about it right now.
>
> Just out of curiosity is there any reason why the directories can't be
> generated by the docbook conversion (I have no experience with that so
> I have no idea)?   Would it be possible to do something like:
>
> system/
>     /settings
>        /index.php
>            (then bookmarks)
>     /processes
>         /index.php
>             (then bookmarks)
>
> I just don't want to un-necessarily add complexity to the menu code
> but if it is unavoidable then we don't have a choice. :)

Yes, I thought about that solution too, which would mean using dbhtml
processing instructions in the individual files, adapt image references, and
create a makefile which can deploy the image files correctly. I, of course,
thought this would be too complex :) which I am unable to measure against
doing it in PHP :)). It would also decentralize/duplicate the TOC, and that
would become a problem in the long run since the document will probably grow
a lot, and hence become a maintenance burden.
But I cannot tell what's worst, I can only whine about how ackward mine is ;-)

			Frans