List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: Site Maintenance
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-12-21 6:24:36

On Friday 14 December 2001 09:10 am, John Rizzo wrote:
> Here is what I propose.  I would like to take an active roal in maintaining
> the site.  I want to make sure that everyone that needs to be able to
> modify the site has the ability as is the case now.  I would also like to
> add the ability for people to update the site via the web and not just
> through cvs while still mainting features such as revision control.
[snip]
> Ok so one step at a time right.  I believe that I can accomplish much of
> this using zope as the content management system.  I would like to take the
> current incarnation of the site and duplicate it using zope.

I'm glad to see that you have so much enthusiasm for this!  I'm certainly not
going to get in the way of progress if you have a better way and a commitment
to implementing it.

HOWEVER, Zope is not an option.  Zope, while a great product, has several
fatal flaws when considered for the KDE.org website:

1. All KDE.org mirrors will need to be running Zope.  I had a *really* hard
   time getting them to agree to run just the PHP module with apache.
   ANYTHING more than that is simply too much.  And we need the mirrors.
2. Administering Zope isn't distributed enough.  With the source in CVS,
   there isn't a single point of failure.  You can work on the PHP/HTML
   at home without worrying how it will affect the site.
3. Zope has a learning curve.  Granted, it's not all *that* hard to learn,
   but it's certainly a lot more than what people are used to doing now.

FWIW, I looked into using Zope (and Midguard and a few others) when I started
the KDE.org redesign back when.  I rejected it for the above reasons.. and
those reasons still stand.

If you are willing to do the redesign using the existing CVS/PHP/Apache setup,
then we're glad to have you on board!
--
Kurt Granroth - "KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop"
KDE Developer/Evangelist | granroth@kde.org