List:       kde-women
Subject:    [Kde-women]Translation update
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () rt ! e-technik ! tu-darmstadt ! de>
Date:       2001-08-25 14:31:59

Hi all,

after some work the last days there is now the first version of our pages
with language handling.

For testing there is a temporary web server at

http://women.kde.org:8080

were you can see the results. In the cvs I made a branch called
"BRANCH_WITHOUT_LANG". The new pages are in HEAD, the old pages you can get
with
cvs up -r BRANCH_WITHOUT_LANG

I realized the language handling with the PHP4 session functions. Standard is
the use of cookies, but it works also without cookies. The only bad thing is,
that for each page, the server tries to send you a cookie again.
There is a nice article about this method at
http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/mattias20000105.php3

But cookies are not eval.... I read a lot about it while coding the stuff.
The cookies contain a domain name, which restricts the access to this cookie
to this domain. I set this to "women.kde.org". And there is a expiration
date. For the usual session managemant this is set to "end of session". Thus
the cookie gets deleted when you close your browser. There is another cookie,
which you receive, when you change the language. This cookie persists for 30
days.
For germans: there is an interesting article about cookies at
http://www.koehntopp.de/php/faq-phplib.html#phplib-6

Please have a look at the site and tell me what you think about it.

The language handling is now realizied for all content pages. So far I didn't
take care of things like:
- subtopics pages
- page title (which are in the title bar of the browser)
- single strings that are somwhere in the php-code. Maybe we can use gettext
with po/mo files here? Has anyone used this before?
- the buttons

And at the end, there is some eyecandy for you. hhyy sent in some screenshots
of her first translations, which you can see at
http://women.kde.org/images/snapshot1.png
http://women.kde.org/images/snapshot2.png

Have a nice weekend :-)
eva