List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Anti-aliasing and non-TT fonts
From:       "akar 'th 'orrible" <akar () optusnet ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-06-30 21:52:18

Yes thats correct. Currently Xfree/Qt will not show bitmap fonts in AA mode.
I dont know if this will ever be fixed although some aspects of these
problems are due to be fixed. Xfree4 can only AA fonts through its TT/Type1
font server and bitmap fonts are outdated really. Both TT and Type give
matching screen and printer fonts but bitmap are only screen fonts and
cannot be printed unless you make a 300dpi version of the bitmap.
Currently Ghostscript will match it with the closest Type1 or TT font in
order to print but that is not very accurate nor do you get WYSIWYG (what
you see is what you get) so really you are better off building your TT
collection up and forgetting bitmaps (They are the cause of ugly fonts ie
your web page asks for times 16 and you only have 14pt so it scales that
resulting in the uglies.

Andrew