List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: How do you set up KDE system menu and panel options?
From:       "akar 'th 'orrible" <akar () optusnet ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-06-11 5:45:08

True, some distributions have bastardised KDE's standards in order to build
dual kde1/2 systems but to be able to give any help at all we have to assume
a standard vanilla kde code-base and expect the user to be familiar with any
idiosynchrosies in the distro s/he chooses, after all they have the release
notes for their distro and THIS is a (pure) KDE list.

The point is irrelevant really though because the question was where is this
info held and the answer is in the kde install directory whether that is
referenced by KDEDIR like it is supposed to be or not. A lot of distros dont
actually set KDEDIR (although they should) it is just the name for the
prefix (install) directory and is only really relevant to signify the
install directory or when compiling. Includes can be found from both KDEDIR
and KDEDIRS but if neither are set as is claimed for debian then you would
need to reference the includes and libraries whenever you configured a
program to compile.
I'm more inclined to think that the debian user just hasnt set their
variable rather than that debian is designed not to use it but then again
I've already been wrong twice just today :-)

Andrew