List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: How do you set up KDE system menu and panel options?
From:       "akar 'th 'orrible" <akar () optusnet ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-06-09 3:02:15

Gee Ken, You didn't look real hard did you?

Not surprisingly KDE's global menu structure is stored in its global
installation directory, ie $KDEDIR
So if your system is installed correctly then; echo $KDEDIR will tell you
where that is. It varies according to whose linux distro you are using but
is usually one of the following; /opt/kde2, /usr/local/kde2, /usr (for those
twisted redhat and mandrake brainiacs)  This will have a subdirectory
/share/applnks which is a hierarchial directory structure that directly
reflects the menu structure with each apps kdedesktop file in its
appropriate sub-menu/sub-directory. Cut, copy, paste, create and regurgitate
to your hearts content.
KDE can actually read and merge its menus from multiple locations but I cant
remember which config file references this so if you need this ability I
suggest you look (a little harder) through the docs and list archives.

akar 'th 'orrible