List:       kde-user
Subject:    Missing Panel Icons
From:       Keith Powell <keithp () g4jvx ! screaming ! net>
Date:       2001-05-25 15:51:11

I logged off and switched off normally last night, but when I started up this
morning, several of the icons on the KDE Panel were missing. They were the
screen lock, log-out, clipboard, KInternet and Knotes. All on the right hand
side of the panel. The clock was still there.

They were only missing on the panel when logged on as a user; they were there
when logged on as root.

The important missing icon was the KInternet, as without it I couldn't
connect (only by using an alternative such as wvdial). Clicking on the
Internet/KInternet menu item gave an error message which said that KInternet
was already running and to click on the panel icon - which was missing!

Having spent some time trying various things, I re-installed the SuSE 7.1
updates and KDE 2.1.1, in case a file had got corrupt. No luck. I have ended
up by re-installing SuSE7.1 + updates + KDE 2.1.1.

In case this happens again, is there any way to get the icons back without a
re-install? I can't find it documented, neither can I find how to do it from
the K Panel menu or the Control Centre.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Keith Powell