List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Memory Leaks ?
From:       Stephen Davies <scldad () sdc ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-05-22 8:58:39

FWIW, my gut feeling is that Konqueror and/or associated java processes
are the villains.

My KDE setup runs fine for days if I don't touch Konqueror. Very
shortly after starting to use Konqueror, the disk goes bananas and
everything slows to a clawl and stays that way until Konqueror is
killed.

Cheers,
Stephen Davies

On Mon, 21 May 2001 17:05:58 +0200, Gerhard den Hollander said:
> * NightFlight <nf@ecwh.dhs.org> (Mon, May 21, 2001 at 10:51:03AM -0400)
> em
> > >
> > > I've never seen memory usages that high. My X server process is using abo
> ut
> > > 50 megs (VSZ) / 20 megs or so resident. I've only got 1/2 the video memor
> > > you have. Still, that seems far too excessive.
> >
> > 9417 root       1   0  167M 167M  2136 R       0  1.1 44.2 273:07 X
>
>   788 root      12   0  289M 261M  3304 S     1.7 105.0  20:49 X
>
> > If those are hours X has been running, mine has been up for 11 days and has
>
> > grown to 167M.
>
> CPU seconds (or minutes and seconds).
> Mine's at 20:47, and I installed the latest NVidia kernel modules about 4
> hours ago (including a reboot of my system).
>
> And bloat is slowly bloating.
>

> > --
> > Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels
> > start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and
> > then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas ... with the
> > music at top volume and at least a pint of ether.
>
> Tried that, didn't help either.
>
> Kind regards,
>  --
> Gerhard den Hollander                           Phone +31-10.280.1515
> Global Technical Support                        Fax   +31-10.280.1511
> Jason Geosystems BV                 (When calling please note: we are in GMT+
> 1)
>
> gdenhollander@jasongeo.com                          POBox 1573
> visit us at http://www.jasongeo.com                 3000 BN Rotterdam
> JASON.......#1 in Reservoir Characterization        The Netherlands
>
>       This e-mail and any attachment is/are intended solely for the named
>   addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and privilege
> d.
>        If you are not the intended recipient, we request that you do not
>          disseminate, forward, distribute or copy this e-mail message.
>       If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify us
>            immediately by telephone and destroy the original message.
> --
> Send posts to:  kde-user@lists.netcentral.net
>  Send all commands to:  kde-user-request@lists.netcentral.net

Stephen Davies Consulting                              scldad@sdc.com.au
Adelaide, South Australia.                             Voice: 08-8177 1595
Computing & Network solutions.                         Fax: 08-8177 0133