List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: KDE2 on Mandrake 7.1
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2000-11-05 12:23:49

On Saturday 04 November 2000 23:28, Paul Tap wrote:

|  Hi, sorry for my question if you have answered it yet but I didnt' find
| the history of this mailing list (did it exist?).

Yes, it should be present ;-)
Looks for some of my previous mails, there were already questions on Mandrake
subject.
|  I'm a newbie on Linux platform (and french, sorry for my poor english). I
| wanted to upgrade MDK 7.1 with KDE2. Then I have downloaded the mdk's rpm
| and read carefully the FAQ. Then I upgraded the 7.2 mdk rpm: menu,
| Mandrake_desk, OpenSSL, qt2 and pam.

good. That's right.
ALSA (for sound)? initscripts, modutils?
(see details below)

|  Well.... The installation was a nightmare :-) A lot of bad dependancies...
| I forced it (without uninstall KDE1.1 :-(

That's really bad.
OK, go with following:
1) uninstall KDE1 (#rpm -e --nodeps kde....)
2) uninstall all from KDE2 RPMs you installed.

then check:
http://kde2.newmail.ru/kde_install.html
http://kde2.newmail.ru/mandrake.html
Follow necessary links, when you finish everything KDE2 should be working...

and do not forget following:
---------------------------------------
exit KDE, go to console
then
1) cd $HOME
2) cp .kde .kde_copy
3) rm .kde
then restart
KDE2 should rebuild all settings

If you had some settings/savings in KDE2 before, you can then copy it from
backup
---------------------------------------
As you haven't uninstalled KDE1 first, you can have a lot of things mixed.
Action above should fix it.

|  Now I have a bad situation:
|  Part of KDE2 but the kdebase2.0 is impossible to install (even
| uninstalling kdebase1.1). I have the message: "File
| /usr/share/apps/kdm/pics/users: cpio: unlink failed mauvais descripteur de
| fichiers."
|  (i use rpm -U --nodeps .... )
|
|  Paul

Feel free to contact me if you still have problem.
If everything is fixed - fell free as well :-)
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)