List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: starting KDE 2 with kdm
From:       paul.c.leopardi () ac ! com
Date:       2000-11-01 8:35:07

Michael,

I would recommend that you take a look at the shell script for the standard
SuSE RPM installation at
ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/KDE2/update_for_7.0/update_kde2.sh  and the FAQ
at http://www.suse.com/us/support/download/kde2/faq.html

I would *guess* that the crucial part of the shell script is:
  /sbin/conf.d/SuSEconfig.kdm &> /dev/null
  /sbin/conf.d/SuSEconfig.susewm &> /dev/null
You could try logging in as root using init 2, so that you are not running
KDE at all, then just run the two SuSEconfig commands above to see what
they do.

That said, I installed KDE1.93 into kdm (KDE 1.1.2 version) on SuSE 6.4
using the following steps:
0. Using kdm, login as root using kde (ie old KDE)
1. In KDE, in kcontrol, go to Applications -> Login Manager
2. In Login Manager, add the choice kde2 and leave choice kde as is.
3. Log out.
4. You should now be able to log in using kde, kde2 or other window
managers.
This worked for me. I am now running KDE 2.0 on SuSE 7.0, but am still
running the old kdm and I use it to log in to kde2.

I've had hardware problems with my Jaz drive which have prevented me
downloading the new "official" SuSE RPMs at
ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/KDE2/update_for_7.0/  but as far as I know the
version of KDE 2.0 I am running is the same, because I downloaded it from a
mirror of ftp://ftp.kde.org/stable/2.0/distribution/rpm/SuSE/7.0-i386/

If you try my method, try the SuSEconfig commands above, try the official
SuSE installation and still have problems, post a message to suse-linux-e
or contact SuSE at feedback@suse.de

Oh, and please let us know how you got on.
Thanks

                                                                                      \

            Michael Aufschanka                                                        \

            <Anguirel@gmx.de>                          To:     KDE User List \
                <kde-user@lists.netcentral.net>
            Sent by:                                   cc:                            \

            kde-user-request@lists.netcentral.n        Subject:     starting KDE 2 \
                with kdm
            et                                                                        \

                                                                                      \

                                                                                      \

            31/10/2000 11:10 PM                                                       \

            Please respond to kde-user                                                \

                                                                                      \

                                                                                      \

Hi all,

first of all I have to say KDE 2 is great!!! A lot of thanks to all
developers.
You have done avery, very great job!!!!!
I just have a problem starting KDE 2 under SUSE 7.0.
I am not able to start KDE 2 via kdm.
I have to start the old KDE 1.1.2 (or another wm) via kdm and then I have
change the runlevel, set a environment variable called "windowmanager=kde2"
and
start the x-server with "startx".
How can I start the new kdm and select KDE 2 as a predifined session?
By the way I use the rpm files from the kde-ftp-server.
The readme file located on this server which describes how to installed did
not
work on my system.

I would be happy if you can help me.

Reards