List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.0 rpm install
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2000-10-26 10:39:27

Scott,

On Thursday 26 October 2000 08:50 am, Scott D. Boyd wrote:
|  I already have Linux-Mandrake 7.1, with KDE 1.1.2 installed. I've
|  downloaded the complete set of binary rpms for KDE 2.0.
|
|  I tried following the instructions for installing KDE 2.0 rpms that
|  were on the KDE site. After installing qt2-2 first (which wasn't in
|  the instructions), I tried installing kdesupport, and immediately got
Look here:
http://kde2.newmail.ru/kde_install.html

I will add mandrake-specific section today. As we probably have 8 hour
difference in time, it'll be available by the time you read this.

|  failed dependancies messages. So I tried installing kdelibs, and got
|  screens and screens of dependency messages. So many - I couldn't even
|  scroll back to where I entered the command!

Don't try install kdelibs until you finished with kdesupport. And make sure
that you have KDE and QT paths defined in your environment (try #export to
see what's here)

|  Has anybody successfully upgraded with the binary Mandrake RPMs? Does
|  anybody know where there might be some binary-rpm-install
|  instructions that work? No - I do not want to compile from the
|  sources.
You need to update several packages from LM 7.1.
Short list: PAM, initscripts, modutils, RPM.
I also recommend Xfree86 4.0.1 (I guess XFree 3.95.something or 4.0 coming
with LM 7.1)
can you please send me in private mail results for following commands
 #rpm -qa | grep XF
 #rpm -qa | grep kde
 #rpm -qa | grep alsa
 #rpm -qa | grep openssl
 #rpm -q xinitrc
 #rpm -q pam
 #rpm -q initscripts
 #rpm -q modutils

Juts redirect it to file like
 #rpm -qa | grep XF >> packages.txt
for all commands and send me results

If you have other dependecy problems, send me them all. (and confirm to me
that you have original LM 7.1 install, so solution for you will work for all
mandrake 7.1 users)

--
Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)