List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: kde 2 final & kde 1.x apps
From:       lee <lee () imyourhandiman ! com>
Date:       2000-10-03 2:50:19

dfox@belvdere.vip.best.com wrote:

> > my initial errors were staking that libkdecore.so.2 is needed by
> > kdebase1.1.2......how can this be as I was  indeed tryhing to UPgrade from
>
> Depending on the order you upgrade the packages, you might get dependency
> errors - for instance, if you upgrade a package that depends on an older
> library, and the package that contains that particular library hasn't been
> upgraded first. Of course, any RPMs that depend on the libraries from the
> older version will complain about the possibility of their libraries being
> taken away out from under them.

what i finally did was just do the openssl thing and then force the install of
kdebase etc. ( was complaining about gnome-core-helix dependency )
it worked fine and all seems well save for the fact that ::
the URL below

( http://www.kde.org/kde1-and-kde2.html )

after having followed to the letter,,,--doesn't seem to be getting me to
kde2....im still researching but if someone has already crossed this
bridge..........

basically i CAN get to the new kde2login screen with the silhouettes ( kinda
kewl ) for different uses only if i login via:
new 3 ( new is my new kernel changes  and of course 3 being not to load into
desktop )

it gets me there but when i try to login the screen just flahes black for few
seconds and then goes back to that same login screen........

something tells me based on the complexity of alterations necessary of above
URL and my current lack of knowledge in that area
that something is amiss with the .Xsession or one of those affiliated

but i'm just glad i got this far :-))))))))......

lee
--=====