List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Running KDE 1.12 and 2.0 beta
From:       Ralf Ahlbrink <ralf.ahlbrink () i ! am>
Date:       2000-05-31 18:35:06

"Michael A. Coan" schrieb:

> I am currently running SuSe 6.4 and KDE 1.1.2.  I downloaded the SuSE binaries
> for KDE 2.0 beta from the kde site and installed them.  They put all the KDE2
> stuff under /opt/kde2.  I read David Faure's helpful article on running KDE
> 1.1.x and KDE 2.0 snapshots on the same machine.  I created the files
> /opt/kde2/bin/kde1 and /opt/kde2/bin/kde2 that he suggests.  I created the
> aliases he suggests.  Following his suggestions I can run konqueror under KDE
> 1.1.2.
>
> Where I have problems is setting up kdm to start both environmnets.  I modifed
> the /opt/kde/shre/config/kdmrc file so that kde2 is contained in the session
> types.  What I cannot do is find the correct file in which to place the lines
>
> kde)
> source /opt/kde2/bin/kde1
> exec startkde
> ;;
> kde2)
> source /opt/kde2/bin/kde2
> exec startkde
> ;;
>
> He suggests that these go in /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession.  On the SuSE distribution
> the Xsession file is found in  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm.  I do not see, however,
> where I would add the language he suggests.  He says it should go in the main
> case statement, and there is a case statment in that file, but it doesn't look
> like the above lines go there.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Mike

Actually, I'm not sitting at a SuSE-Linux, so, hopefully, I recapitulate
everything correctly.

In /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession you find a case statement like this:

failsave)
;;
*)
    ... WINDOWMANAGER ...
;;

I inserted "kde) ... kde2) ..." in between these two entries. I have in mind that
I also set
WINDOWMANAGER to '$KDEDIR/bin/startkde' (this is perhaps unnecessary).
Then, it worked for me.

What is really annoying is the fact, that everytime when SuSEconfig is started,
it tells me
about the "original" version of kdmrc. But you have to use your own (haven't
you?), because
there is no entry in rc.config for the additional entry kde2. Does anybody know a
alternative way?

Ralf.