List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Newbie problems with .Xauthority
From:       dfox () belvdere ! vip ! best ! com
Date:       2000-05-28 6:10:02

> A new installation creates new root and $HOME directories from
> /etc/skel, with their own little magic files.  I've learned that you

Properly, you shouldn't mess with these unless you know what they
do.

> I can't log on to a terminal as root, having given the right password,
> but I can su root as an unprivileged user.

Technically, that's the right thing. In /etc there is a file
'securetty' which lists which ports a superuser may log into. It's
generally conceded that remote terminals which allow direct root
access are potential security hazards. If a user has to su to
root, he has to have the password for another existing account.

About the .Xauthority issue: probably you should check
'man xauth'. I don't fully understand it, but that's also a good
security feature. It does sometimes get in the way, though.

> Peter Ruskin          <Peter@ruskin.greatxscape.net>
> Wrexham, UK          KDE - the professionals' choice
David E. Fox                     Census         Thanks for letting me
dfox@belvdere.vip.best.com        2000          change magnetic patterns
Be Counted: http://www.census.gov               on your hard disk.