List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: kcore!!
From:       warren11 <warren11 () home ! com>
Date:       2000-04-14 14:41:01

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Sundar Amancherla wrote:

> Hi all,
>     I am a newbee to 'kde'.  I have kde on YDL on a Power Macintosh G3.
> Yesterday it did not behave properly when I logged in as root.  So I
> shutdown the system and restarted it this morning.  It is working properly
> now.  As I was browsing I found a file named "kcore" in "/proc" directory.
> It is humongous (403MB)!!. I did not find any documentation about the
> keyword "kcore". I was wondering whether I should delete it.  In any case I
> went ahead and issued a delete command as root. It did not get deleted and
> came up with some message "can't unlink 'kcore': Operation not permitted"
>
>     So I am still wondering whether it is a core file for kde or is it a
> normal core file which is generated when something goes wrong.  I am sorry
> for such along explanation.  Any help in this regard would be gratefully
> received.  Thank you very much.
>
>     -- Aman
Leave that strickly alone.  It is a running copy of the actual memory on
the machine.  That is why it is not removable.  It is not taking up any
disk space.

I have an son that graduated from O.S.U.  Named Jame, or James or Jim.
whichever he use when there.  He is now a practicing Lawyer in Columbus.

Good luck,
Warren

             * |     Warren Hrach, San Diego, CA 92107       | *
             * | warren11@home.com Linux & BBBS on an AMD K5 | *
             * |          BBS at (619}224-4878               | *