List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: empty desktop
From:       nussbaue <nussbaue () hrnet ! fr>
Date:       2000-02-29 16:10:35

Hi everyone,

I have exactly the same problem, but it seems not to be related with
full disk for me. (I do not think it is distribution related, since I am
using Mandrake 6.0 on a P-133 Machine with 64 Megs of RAM. I do not know
exactly how the problem occur, but I have noticed the kfm does crash so
that no application at all is running for  user1. All other users work
fine.
I think the error may happen because for whatever reason, the file
'/tmp/kfm-cache-1001/index.txt' could not be read (it was never created
because kfm had a segmentation fault crash ). (log from
.xsession-errors)
Afterwards, each application I try to start get the following error:
"QSocketMotifier:Invalid socket specified
QSocketMotifier: internal error"

Deleting the /tmp files does not help either (anyway it is best not to
do this while an X session is running...
What I will try for now that user is to rename his /home/user1 directory
into /home/user1bak, create a new empty user1 and have run again kde.
Afterwards, I will copy the user's backup files into the new folder.

But I would greatly apprecaite if someone could give precise inforamtion
shich file is screwed up (or if there are some other pending lock files
that need to be first cleaned). That would be much more efficient...

Many thanks
Manu