List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: kde lockout
From:       Ed Calderon <ecc () cypress ! com>
Date:       2000-02-29 13:47:12

KDE lockout has happened 3 times in my caldera 2.3
Initially the 4 desktops become 2, and eventually no icons work.
I move to another account and eventualy the same happens there.

Once during login a message regarding /tmp space came up, and login
failed, it worked after I cleaned /tmp
The other times, at the login, password is accepted, when the desktop
seems to be coming up, the screen goes to login screen.

I used failsafe to look for indications, cleaning /tmp gave me a
desktop, with only a terminal window, and none of the icons work.

Ed.
>On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Ed Calderon / Eq.Eng ww.Support wrote:
>> I have deleted inbox from Mail and as many files as possible
thinking>> of a lack of space.
>> Long ago KDE did not allow me to login due to insufficient space at
>> /tmp ??
>>
>> I am using caldera 2.3, I can login in fail safe mode and get a
xterm.
>> After startkde:
>>
>> kpanel:waiting for windowmanager
>> maudio:cannot open audio device
>> could not read '/tmp/kfm-cache-0/index.txt'
>>
>> x Error: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) 2
>> major opcode 12
>
>Ahh!  You do know that failsafe mode isn't how you launch KDE...there
is hope
>for you then.  First off, I'd try removing anything in /tmp.  Login as
root
>(failsafe or at console), rm -rf /tmp/* . AFAIK this won't hurt
anything.

>> and no more...
>>
>> can anyone help???
>>
>> Ed
>> >
>> > Hello,..help;
>> >
>> > I  have been locked out by KDE ??, after entering login
information,
>> > instead of getting the desktop, I return to the login display.
>> > There is no identification error.
>> >
>> > I can login in failsafe mode, getting a single term window.
>> >
>> > What can I do to get KDE to work again from the root
window...please

<http://www.netcentral.net/>