List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: VI Editor
From:       Mike Green <linux () saesolved ! com>
Date:       1999-11-22 3:26:01

Well,  I like syntax highlighting, regular expression searching, being able to
work with a column of text as well as with lines, etc.  In other words I like
power :-).  In Windows I use TextPad, and sometimes Homesite.  In Linux I use
nedit (just wish I could figure out how to change the background to straight
white and that it had syntax highlighting for PHP) or kedit.  I tried to get Vim
to work -- but could never do so, at least in a GUI mode.  I expect I'm missing
a key bit of configuration or something, since I have the impression that it
does support a GUI mode.

When I do text editing -- which is a lot -- I don't use key-based commands for
much of anything except copy, cut, paste, undo, and save.  I move around on the
page (e.g. to correct most all of my typos, but more importantly to select
text, click on tool bar features -- e.g. spell check, insert a link, what have
you) mostly by using the mouse.  And, more importantly, I have learned the
key-based commands after learning how to edit using either drop down menus or
mouse right clicks (in some programs).  As I work I learn to use those
key-based commands that seem to be convenient to remember because I use them
frequently.  But I am very likely to make mistakes with key strokes.  (Thank God
and all His good programmers for the undo function!)  I am less likely to do so
when using the mouse.  And I don't find it convenient to remember more than a
few key-based command.

Now I will sound like the old salt (you may have another term :-)) that I am:
But I used key based editing for all of the years that there was such a thing,
and was practically moved to shout Hallelujah when I met my first GUI editor
:-)  So it -- for me -- is not a matter of not having tried key-based editing,
it is a matter of being very thankful that someone(s) came up with something
that is -- for me -- very much better.

Cheers!

Mike II

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Mike Green wrote:
>
> > There are those who can type well ...and those of us who can't.  (E.g. I had to
> > type the word "from" in the first line above three times to get it right :-))
> > The mouse increases my efficiency tremendously.  And I wouldn't want an editor
> > that wasn't heavily GUId and mousey.
>
> 	Hmm. Not sure what being a bad typist and needed a mouse have to
> to with each other, but if we talk about people's preferences in general,
> sure, there are lots of different people with different preferences. What
> I worry about is when people don't even give the more powerful editors a
> try. I think they'd be surprised.
> 	Even my fellow students are thrown when I say that I love Vi. They
> typically use the simplest editor available because they're used to the
> win notepad *shudder*. Then I sit down beside them and we consult on
> something, and I fly through my code 20 times faster than they do, and
> their jaws hit the floor. Suddenly they want a Vi manual. Then I show them
> Vim, with syntax shading for their code, multiple buffers and mouse
> support. They drool. They just didn't know it was out there.
> 	So, try the "tougher" editors, before you settle. It's important
> to know what tools are available. If you settle on something different,
> hey, more power to you. At least you know what you're talking about when
> you tell people why you don't prefer their favorite editor.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	the first Mike ;-)
>
> --
> Send posts to:  kde-user@lists.netcentral.net