Well, I like syntax highlighting, regular expression searching, being able to work with a column of text as well as with lines, etc. In other words I like power :-). In Windows I use TextPad, and sometimes Homesite. In Linux I use nedit (just wish I could figure out how to change the background to straight white and that it had syntax highlighting for PHP) or kedit. I tried to get Vim to work -- but could never do so, at least in a GUI mode. I expect I'm missing a key bit of configuration or something, since I have the impression that it does support a GUI mode. When I do text editing -- which is a lot -- I don't use key-based commands for much of anything except copy, cut, paste, undo, and save. I move around on the page (e.g. to correct most all of my typos, but more importantly to select text, click on tool bar features -- e.g. spell check, insert a link, what have you) mostly by using the mouse. And, more importantly, I have learned the key-based commands after learning how to edit using either drop down menus or mouse right clicks (in some programs). As I work I learn to use those key-based commands that seem to be convenient to remember because I use them frequently. But I am very likely to make mistakes with key strokes. (Thank God and all His good programmers for the undo function!) I am less likely to do so when using the mouse. And I don't find it convenient to remember more than a few key-based command. Now I will sound like the old salt (you may have another term :-)) that I am: But I used key based editing for all of the years that there was such a thing, and was practically moved to shout Hallelujah when I met my first GUI editor :-) So it -- for me -- is not a matter of not having tried key-based editing, it is a matter of being very thankful that someone(s) came up with something that is -- for me -- very much better. Cheers! Mike II On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Michael P. Soulier wrote: > On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Mike Green wrote: > > > There are those who can type well ...and those of us who can't. (E.g. I had to > > type the word "from" in the first line above three times to get it right :-)) > > The mouse increases my efficiency tremendously. And I wouldn't want an editor > > that wasn't heavily GUId and mousey. > > Hmm. Not sure what being a bad typist and needed a mouse have to > to with each other, but if we talk about people's preferences in general, > sure, there are lots of different people with different preferences. What > I worry about is when people don't even give the more powerful editors a > try. I think they'd be surprised. > Even my fellow students are thrown when I say that I love Vi. They > typically use the simplest editor available because they're used to the > win notepad *shudder*. Then I sit down beside them and we consult on > something, and I fly through my code 20 times faster than they do, and > their jaws hit the floor. Suddenly they want a Vi manual. Then I show them > Vim, with syntax shading for their code, multiple buffers and mouse > support. They drool. They just didn't know it was out there. > So, try the "tougher" editors, before you settle. It's important > to know what tools are available. If you settle on something different, > hey, more power to you. At least you know what you're talking about when > you tell people why you don't prefer their favorite editor. > > Cheers, > > the first Mike ;-) > > -- > Send posts to: kde-user@lists.netcentral.net > Send all commands to: kde-user-request@lists.netcentral.net > Put your command in the SUBJECT of the message: > "subscribe", "unsubscribe", "set digest on", or "set digest off" > > All kde mailing lists are archived at http://lists.kde.org > ********************************************************************** > This list is from your pals at NetCentral -- Mike Green SaeSolved:: http://www.saesolved.com -- Send posts to: kde-user@lists.netcentral.net Send all commands to: kde-user-request@lists.netcentral.net Put your command in the SUBJECT of the message: "subscribe", "unsubscribe", "set digest on", or "set digest off" All kde mailing lists are archived at http://lists.kde.org ********************************************************************** This list is from your pals at NetCentral