List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: VI Editor
From:       Mark Hill <mark.hill () clic ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-11-21 16:11:54

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Darcel H Ford wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone know about the vi editor.  I have been
> sitting here trying to figure out how to make this vi editor work.
> 1. I tried creating a file and then editing the file later.&nbsp;
> It says that text file is busy.
> Do you have any ideas?

I would imagine that there is still a vi process running in the background
somewhere... try "ps -ef | grep vi" this might help :-)

Unfortunately vi is a bit of a dark horse, in that unless you've used it before
it seems v. strange and scary ( hjkl instead of - and I know as well as -
cursor keys ), but once you get the hang of the entire edit/command mode
structure of it, vi is ver powerfull.  The best bit is when you start using
regular expressions - but I'd leave that for a short while ;-)  Buy the
O'Reilly book on vi, it doesn't cost a lot and is a very comprehensive guide.

Mark Hill - Software Engineer, CLi Connect Ltd.
4 Walnut Tree Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU14TR, UK
Email:	mailto:markh@clic.co.uk
SMS:	mailto:my.telephone@sms.genie.co.uk
Tel:	+44(0)1483300200
Fax:	+44(0)1483461046