List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: desktop
From:       Frerich Raabe <frerichraabe () gmx ! de>
Date:       1999-11-15 6:18:37

On Son, 14 Nov 1999, Frank Roberts wrote:
> > >Did you try looking at
> > >file:/opt/kde/share/doc/HTML/default/kfm/index-4.html#ss4.7?
>
> As a relative newcomer to Linux who has still not mastered finding an index
> of man documents how would I or anyone else know to go to this obscure
> location to find directions on how to place shortcuts on the desktop?
>
> Not only is this, the lack of direction for newcomers on where to find
> documentation, a problem with KDE it is a major problem for all of Linux.

As I'm working with Linux & KDE for one year now, I got used to the directory
structure and, believe me or not, I prefer it over the windows style. But
you're right; many people I saw switching from Windows to Linux had HUGE
problems to find programs, documentation and so because they expected the
directories to be called "Programs" and "Personal Files" and so on. I think,
the major advantage of names like "usr" or "var" is that they are very short
which makes them easy to type. Such top-level directories are of course
traversed regulary and it'd really annoy me if I had to type "cd
User_Files/..." all the time.

In the age of GUI's, this advantage is of course no advantage anymore but a
disadvantage which makes it even harder to get used to Linux. Perhaps one
should build up some kind of a symbolic-link tree which points to the "real"
directories but is named more readable (like /User->/usr,
/User/Documentation->/usr/doc and so on)?

--
Frerich Raabe <frerichraabe@gmx.de>, Wilhelmshaven/Germany
You'd probably try to reach me via ICQ (I got #52931096).