List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: kmail questions
From:       "Thomas Ribbrock \(Design/DEG\)" <argathin () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-11-01 10:15:44

On Sat, Oct 30, 1999 at 12:10:09AM +0200, Marcin Landowski wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 1999 at 09:44:04AM +0100, Thomas Ribbrock Design/DEG" wrote:

[changing names of system folders]

> make links, if the name of the folder is the same - the name of the
> link can be different :-);
> I can under kmail use folders in ~/mail, ~/Mail and ~/nsmail without
> any problems :-)));
> the original kmail folders (created on startup first time) live alone!!!
> ;-)

Thanks, but that doesn't solve my problem: I have a bunch of users here
who are until now using either Sun mailtool or XFmail and who might be
interested in using kmail+kfm. Up until now, those folks have ~/Mail as
their main mail directory and at least for the XFmail users, this
contains subdirectories called inbox, outbox and trash - which cause
kmail to crash. What I'm looking for is a way to enable those users to
use both mailprograms in parallel (and transparently!) without much fuzz
until that day when thay decide which one they prefer.

Anybody out there with ideas?

> No, kmail force to take all mail from spool folder. U can try appropriate
> links, but it is some complicated. The best way is to sort mail to
> different tematical folders before using kmail - try fetchmail & procmail.
> Sorted mail U can easy use with kmail :-).

I'm aware of procmail, but in the case I described above, this is not an
option, as I'm not going to set up (and maintain...) procmail for some
20 users... :-}

> > 3) Has anybody figured out a way to import/convert addresses from other
> >    mail programs (namely Sun mailtool and XFmail) into kmail's
> >    Addressbook?
>
> kmail addressbook is very poor :-(, I simply copy addresses to it by
> "mouse coping" :-)...

Ok, that calls for a shell script, then. Fortunately, both mailtool and
XFmail use plaintext aliases.

Cheers,

Thomas
--
             "Look, Ma, no obsolete quotes and plain text only!"

     Thomas Ribbrock | http://www.bigfoot.com/~kaytan | ICQ#: 15839919