List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Ram usage & Performance (Was: Ram usage in KDE)
From:       dfox () belvdere ! vip ! best ! com
Date:       1999-07-31 16:04:53

>  Netscape is particularly resource-hungry.  And I've seen kmail grow to
>  use 15Mb or so (I speculate that it doesn't release memory once it's
>  handled a large message).  You can check memory usage of different

I've personally seen kmail eat >32 megs of RAM on occasion, and it
looks like it's related to inbox size. I have a really really large
inbox (3.2 megs) and kmail gets really really RAM hungry when working
with it.

But there are other ram-hungry things out there as well. For instance,
I did not expect Xemacs to hog a lot of RAM, but the last time I
tried it as a news reader, memory usage climbed to 48(!) megabytes.

And compiling (especially 2.0 snapshots) ain't fun with a 32meg
box. I had 48 meg until recently; my box took >3 hours at times to
compile one file. That's one reason why I upgraded to 96meg, which
is just about right (hopefully, I won't have to upgrade again too
soon :).

>  to me* that Win95 will feel snappier on a P166 / 32Mb box.  I don't know
>  if that changes as you scale up the h/w.

In my experience, KDE (and X windows generally) feels snappier than
Win95 with roughly the same hardware configuration. Win9x often feels
'sluggish' especially when moving around the desktop, moving windows,
bringing up windows, resizing and so forth.

>  Jedd.
David E. Fox                 Tax              Thanks for letting me
dfox@belvdere.vip.best.com   the              change magnetic patterns
root@belvedere.sbay.org      churches         on your hard disk.