List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: kdelibs source
From:       "David E. Fox" <dfox () belvdere ! vip ! best ! com>
Date:       1999-05-03 13:41:16

> the configure script and ran it. it failed because of the missing
> libjpeg and suggested i install kdesupport. i know this problem and
> tried to work around this by putting the line about libjpeg

Hmm. It should have picked up the libjpeg from the existing version
of kdesupport that you've already got.

On the other hand, I've since recompiled and installed kdesupport, although
(I don't think) there is that much difference between the existing (newer)
version and the one for kde-1.1.

Over here I seem to have both libjpeg.so.6 and libjpeg6b.so.6; the
former points to libjpeg.so.6.0.1 dated 4/19 and the latter points to
libjpeg6b.so.6.0.2, dated 4/24. Somehow, I don't think I need both, but
I'm not sure. This is certainly the newer kdesupport though, as the
previous version's files were dated mid-January.

> (ac_cv_lib_jpeg=${ac_cv_lib_jpeg='-ljpeg'}) in config.cache and then the
> configure script succeeded. then i tried to compile and the compilation
> failed at the point when it needed the file 'jpeglib.h'. so, do i need

jpeglib.h is in /opt/kde/include and is also dated 4/24, so it would
seem that it's part of the newer kdesupport as well. On the other hand,
there should have been a jpeglib.h in the previous version as well.

> to compile and install the kde support package from the sources too, or,
> if not, what's the problem?

I would suggest it. If you're trying to keep the existing 1.1 tree and
have simply moved it to something like /opt/kde2, then you'll need to
compile and install kdesupport as well as kdelibs before going on to
koffice. Presumably you might be able to just replace kdelibs in your
existing tree -- however, my guess is there might be some dependencies
where the older version wouldn't work.

> i, too, was thinking about trying the new koffice and kdelibs based on
> qt 2.0 and at the same time keep the existing installation of kde, based
> on qt 1.42. is this possible? did you say you succeeded?

If you move the old one out of the way, and put qt-2.0 in a special
place then you should be able to do that. At least that's how I started
doing things; but since then, I've had quite a few problems with configure
not being able to pick up the new qt-2.0 library (or worse, picking up the
older qt-1.42 and not telling me) that I've recently decided to punt and
just reinstall the latest kde in full from cvs sources.

That said, it might be sometime before I get to see the new
koffice :(. I keep having to recompile/reinstall ever-newer versions of
kdelibs and kdebase, and so far parts of the other packages (kdeutils,
kdeadmin and such) have failed to compile in some areas. Worse yet, it
takes so long now to compile the base parts of the package (kdelibs takes
the better part of a night; kdebase usually takes >24 hours). (I've
got a P-100 with 48 megs of RAM/ 64 megs swap).

> Grega
David E. Fox                 Tax              Thanks for letting me
dfox@belvdere.vip.best.com   the              change magnetic patterns
root@belvedere.sbay.org      churches         on your hard disk.