List:       kde-user
Subject:    Why is the K menu settable only by root?
From:       "Paul W. Abrahams" <abrahams () valinet ! com>
Date:       1999-03-30 21:14:20

One of the most inexplicable aspects of the KDE design is the way that
the K menu, which is the key to accessing almost everything, is
configurable only by root.  Yes, I know that you can add a submenu even
if you aren't root, but there's no way to reconfigure the items that are
there or (even more useful) remove the extraneous ones.  This seems like
an odd bit of design fascism, and I'd like to understand what the
motivation for it is.  Even Windows isn't so dictatorial!

A far more sensible approach would be to use a standard K menu as the
initial value for each user's K menu, leaving the user free to
reconfigure it in any way.  That's the way that other Unix window
managers work; they provide a default `.rc' file and then look for a
modified version in the user's home directory.  Why can't KDE do that?

I know that I can make the menu universally writable, but that *really*
is not a good way to configure a system with multiple users.

Paul Abrahams