List:       kde-user
Subject:    Installation of software
From:       "Piers O'Connor" <piers () piersoconnor ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-03-27 22:48:58

I am sending this message because I am completely and totally pissed off
with the installation of software under Linux/KDE. I know I'm going to
receive all sorts of messages telling me what a scumbag I am and how
dare I presume this and that and the other, but the fact of the matter
is, installing software under Linux is a complete nightmare. Why is
that? It seems that there is a sort of masochistic urge at work, if you
don't feel the pain, you don't get the gain.
I've spent days getting that crummy RealPlayer to work (just). It took 2
minutes in Windows. I've just downloaded the Koffice stuff.along with
Mico, Python and god knows what else. I unzip Koffice, type ./configure
(as it says in the INSTALL file) and get the message "no such file or
directory" What goes on? It's just a bad joke. Whay on earth do the
people who write this software not come up with a decent "setup"
program? You click on "setup" and it does it all for you. OK. it asks
you a few of the usual questions. where, when and how. Is that such a
problem? And if it is, I would truly like to know the answer. I really
cannot see how Linux and the rest is ever going to make any headway at
all until the basic matter of installing software has been resolved.
Judging by the correspondence on this mailing list, it seems that a
whole lot of people are having a whole lot of trouble doing the most
basic thing, and that thing is getting the software up and running on
their computers. I could be wrong, perhaps that's all they wanna do,
fiddle around until it runs. And that's OK. But quite frankly, I'm
becoming bored stiff with downloading software and then spending hours
and hours sussing it all out. It doesn't seem like any kind of freedom
to me. In fact the complete opposite. Surely, the whole point of the
Linux "experience" is that it's BETTER than that other unmentionable
bunch from Seattle, but personally I don't want to spend days getting a
basic word processor to function. Do you?  Ok that's my piece, now I'll
sit back and wait for the flack