List:       kde-user
Subject:    RE: libgif.so.2???
From:       Duncan Haldane <f.d.m.haldane () cwix ! com>
Date:       1999-02-28 15:09:34

On 26-Feb-99 Richard Röjfors wrote:
> I'm trying to install KDE 1.1 on a rh5.2 system, but rpm says that I need
libgif.so.2, but I
          ^^

     OOPS, didnt see this
    this is an older version of libgif.   (libgif.so.3 is on redhat)

something is not right- what rpms are you installing,
do you have the older kde-1.0 installed?
what are the exact circumstances that you get the message in?
DID YOU READ THE DOCS?
(readme-redhat-rpms.html)

uninstall kde-1.0 first with rpm -e.

The way kde-1.0 was packaged, the older libgif was part of
kdesupport.  kde-1.0 wont let you upgrade to kdesupport-1.1 while
other kde-1.0 packages that need libgif.so.2 are still installed.
(they dont know they will be wiped out themselves just afterwards...)
this is all documented in readme-redhat-rpms.

If you use the installation script, it should take care of this
for you.