List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: A Problem
From:       "Andrew Butterworth" <Andrew.Butterworth () cognitionsolutions ! plc ! uk>
Date:       1998-06-30 10:01:07

>I have beta 4, What is gcc 2.8.1? Dont have that file.

The beta 4 distribution was available in many forms. under i386 distribution
directory you get binary and source rpms. After that you had 3 directory
choices lib5, lib6 and gcc2.8.1

I think these all are different because of which libraries the functions in
kde expect to be linked to. So the gcc 2.8.1 rpm will only work if you have
installed gcc 2.8.1 and all its associated c libraries. This is not standard
if you are using Redhat 5.0 which installs gcc 2.7.2 (I think) and libraries
for some reason refered to as lib6 (I don't know why)

The kde rpms that work with Redhat 5.0 are under the lib6 directory.

If you let the list know what linux version you are running (redhat, debian,
slackware ... ) what version it is, what your processor is (intel or sparc
etc) then people will be able to solve your problems more easily.

Hope I helped.

Andrew Butterworth
Cognition Solutions Plc