List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE Videotaped Evaluation (Was Re: Progress)
From:       mattc <mattc () flowine ! com>
Date:       2001-08-24 13:06:37

On Wednesday 22 August 2001 10:48, Emerald Arcana wrote:
> On August 22, 2001 12:03 pm, h.mcmanus@elmerproductions.com wrote:
> > I dont mean to put a dampener on the enthusiasm here, but when you start
> > video taping and audio taping people, you have the potential to create a
> > few legal problems.
I think that recording users comments won't become an issue until we start
actually doing proctor administered studies.  Right now, we are still working
on a "howto" on how to write the individual tasks in the study, so it is a
while off.  This is good stuff however.  Thanks for the link!  We will
definatly address this in the "Proctor HowTo" so that those administering the
study who choose to use some type of recording device will do so properly.  I
can't imagine that the practice would ever be more than an optional part of
the study.

> http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~tcl/seg3120/

> A video camera is best since you can point it at the screen and watch what
> the user is doing.  It'll also get audio.  Make sure you keep your user
> talking: "I am moving my mouse to look for the CD Player.  I do not see the
> CD Player under any of the K Menu items, so I'm going to start looking for
> sub items.  I don't know where it is so I'll check them one-by-one."

That would be a very sophisticated level of study indeed.  Basically it has
asked the subject to do a task, and then records the steps it took the
participant to complete it.  We will have to work up to that level.  I don't
know how the questions will look exactly yet (Jennifer may be better able to
comment on this) but I think that in the beginnnig, the will be your basic,
"Were you able to complete this task?" and, "How difficult was it to complete
this task?"  These are nice multiple choice Qs, and will easily go into a
database, and compile nicely to usable reports.

Better to start simple and build complexity in over time than to take too big
of a bite all at once.

Matt