List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Usability Bugs and.....?
From:       Robert Watkins <robert_maria () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-08-24 11:13:44

When I created the Usability Report for KPlato, I
was struck by the fact that the reports are
designed solely to be bug reports. This bothers
me.

Usability needs to be on the front-end of
development and not just the back-end. It is not
a User Acceptance Test type of activity, it is an
activity that starts during requirements
gathering.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself because I know
that introducing Usability into any development
environment is difficult. I'm just afraid that
we'll give the wrong impression that bug tracking
is all that Usability is good for.

I think some of the efforts on doing a study with
users is a good idea, but we need to introduce
the topic of Usability to the developers so that
they understand and apprecite the benefits of
this aspect of application development.

Am I off base?

Robert Watkins

=====