List:       kde-usability
Subject:    KInstaller revisited
From:       Ian H <arcaneone () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-08-22 21:26:34

On Monday 20 August 2001 07:56 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 20 August 2001 17:28, Jim Conner wrote:
> > Well, the KInstaller project has been mentioned.  Also, Loki has an
> > Installer that they use for their games.  I think it's GPL or some such
> > license.  I remember hearing either earlier this year or late last year
> > that InstallShield(main windows installer) was ported to java.
>
> there is also kdeinstaller in kdenonbeta, but kinstaller looks to be much
> further along. loki's installer is based on gtk+, and i'd much rather see
> an installer that looks at home on kde. i don't think java is a good
> solution either (if InstallShield would even work very well on linux.
> anybody tried?)
>
> > The problem is that each distro is released with a different set of
> > libraries that the binary needs to be compiled against.
> not to mention different paths ...
> > The way other projects have gotten around this is to release a static and
dynamic
> > binary of their source. Unfortunately, a static binary of KDE would need
> > quite a

I could be wrong but it seems as though the major distros put out thier own
version of KDE's packages with in a week. This leaves the option of
downloading the generic packages (source, binary (static or dynamic)).

> one of the common problems w/config files in total corruption. this will
> hopefully be largely fixed when KConfig gets some checksumming capabilities
> (which it apparently is according to some devel discussion last month).
> KConfig will be getting some large-ish overhauls for kde3.

I think this corrruption proctection should extend from the installation.
Start by comparing files actually installed to the RPM file lists. Add these
to list of  watched files. When ever RPMs/Apps are installed into KDE ( and
possiably the system at large) the package installer/handler ( or KInstaller
) can keep track of dependencies whether the file is in a RPM, tarball, or
all by itself. This way there is less of a chance that a dependency file will
be removed or overwritten if there is still a package that needs it.

For those who like to compile their own packages, they should run
CheckInstall ( http://mayams.net/~izto/checkinstall-en.html#checkinstall ) to
generate a RPM or another package of choice so the package handler is aware
of the additional files and thier depencies.

Not only would this make the installation and upgrade of KDE easier it would
go far to prevent problem due to dependencies mix-ups.