List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Redhat 7.1 and KDE2.2 are go! - But not for everyone
From:       Jim Conner <jconner83 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-08-21 13:05:48

Trying to get KInstaller to work correctly on different distros and different
versions of the same distro would be a nightmare.  That is until the distros
agree to be LSF compliant.  I didn't know much about Loki's Installer or even
InstallShield Java version.  I've used the Windows version of InstallShield
and think it's very nice.  I agree, KInstaller would have to figure out the
distro and version and then install it correctly depending on what that was.
The user would have to make sure that his/her version of KInstaller was
compatible with his distro/version.  They would then have to download the
rpms that would be compiled by the distro and point KInstaller to them.
Granted, each distro/version has a different directory structure for each
version of KDE.  SuSE even has a different set of rpms on their own ftp site
versus KDE's mirrors.  KInstaller has just become a high maintainance
project.  New versions would have to be released with each new distro/version
and with each new version of KDE.  Of course it would have to be released
after the distro's compiled the source and created the directory structures
and names for the rpms.  As you can see this would become an impossible task.
 Packaging of the KDE source needs to be standardized for each distro for
this to work.  There would need to be a standard directory tree standardized
naming of each rpm regardless of the distro/version.  Of course getting all
major distros to agree on what the standard would be, would be another story.

I'll be looking forward to the improvements in KConfig.  Hopefully it will
fix some, if not all, of the problems of upgrading KDE's config files.

Jim

--

  7:42am  up 28 days,  8:14,  2 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.04, 0.02