List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Redhat 7.1 and KDE2.2 are go! - But not for everyone
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () mountlinux ! com>
Date:       2001-08-20 17:29:43

hi...

> IMHO KDE needs an "Anaconda" program that can go through a system and
> figure out exactly what needs to be updated for the new version to run, and
> then through a series of prompts make those changes.  Now that would be a
> polished system.  It is what our users expect.

this would be nice, and several distros do provide something like this
already. this is a distribution specific task. for that matter, why
do the distros make the KDE packages at all? why don't the KDE people make
all the binaries?

there is nothing that says that a group of volunteers couldn't get together
and supply such a binary packaging + support service to the community, but
it has been and will probably continue to be the position of the KDE team
that it is up to the individual distributions to provide binary packages and
support for their products.

there simply are too many distros/OSes (and KDE is in a tough place if it
supports just a few, for obvious political reasons) and that is the _whole_
point of a distribution: to create, integrate and test binary packages and
supply user support.

if RH is not doing this for you, use another distro or step up to the plate
yourself for the distro and write a HOWTO, provide support of email lists/irc
channels and/or make your own packages (which I someone actually did for
KDE2.2 on RH7.1).

--
Aaron Seigo